Digestive Enzyme Blend
Applications for Health Improvement
- Supports healthy digestion of proteins, carbohydrates, fats and vegetable fiber
- Supports assimilation of nutrients
- Supports normal pancreatic function
- Extraordinary formula for gas and bloating; a natural alka seltzer
90 Vegetarian Capsules
Enzymes are functional proteins that participate in important metabolic processes throughout the body, such as the digestion of macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, and fats). During digestion, specific enzymes break down specific macronutrients: amylases convert carbohydrates to simple sugars (mono- and di-saccharides), proteases convert proteins into peptides and free amino acids, and lipases break down fats into free fatty acids (monoglycerides) and glycerol. The pancreas produces these enzymes and releases them into the small intestine, where the majority of digestion takes place. Adequate production, release, and delivery of enzymes are necessary for optimal digestion.
Supplemental enzymes are utilized clinically to support digestion, assimilation, and gastrointestinal health . Digestive enzymes are recommended to select individuals to support normal pancreatic digestive function [2,3]. Biodiastase contains amylase for carbohydrate digestion, protease for protein digestion, and cellulase to support the breakdown of vegetable fiber. Lipase is present to facilitate the breakdown of fats. Newlase contains both protease and lipase to further support healthy and complete digestion.
A 25-week clinically tested intervention trial was conducted to see if this formula improved the nutritional status of elderly individuals. Although body weight did not change significantly, individuals receiving the digestive enzyme blend were found to have a significant increase in both serum albumin and high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol levels, suggesting that pancreatic enzyme administration supported markers for health and longevity [4,5].
The enzymes in Digestive Enzyme Blend are prepared by fermentation, extraction, purification, and standardization of enzymes produced by types of fungi such as Aspergillus niger, Aspergillus sp. and Rhizopus niveus. Microbes employed for the manufacture of enzymes are safe microorganisms that have been used for a long time in the manufacture of fermented foods, such as beer, cheese, soy sauce, and yogurt.
CAUTIONS: Children and pregnant or lactating women should consult their healthcare practitioner prior to use. Do not use if there is a history of, or a current, peptic or duodenal ulcer,
- PeaceHealth Medical Group. http://www.peacehealth.org/xhtml/content/cam/ hn-1052003.html#hn-1052003-supplements. Accessed January 3, 2013.
- Halgreen H, Pedersen NT, Worning H. Symptomatic effect of pancreatic enzyme therapy in patients with chronic pancreatitis. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1986 Jan;21(1):104-8. [PMID: 3633631]
- Scolapio JS, Malhi-Chowla N, Ukleja A. Nutrition supplementation in patients with acute and chronic pancreatitis. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 1999 Sep;28(3):695-707. Review. [PMID: 10503145]
- Shibata H. Nutritional factors on longevity and quality of life in Japan. J Nutr Health Aging. 2001;5(2):97-102. [PMID: 11426289]
- Amano Enzyme Inc. Digestive enzymes improve nutritional status in the elderly. Enzyme Wave. Newsletter. June 2004; vol 7. http://www.amano-enzyme.co.jp/ pdf/wave_e/vol7/vol7_topic.pdf. Accessed January 3, 2013.
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
Amylase (from Biodiastase 2000)
Protease (from Newlase)
Lipase (from Newlase)