Applications for Health Improvement
- Supports joint comfort
- Helps with pain management
- Supports antioxidant mechanisms
120 Vegetarian Capsules
This formula supports eicosanoid and cytokine balance and provides support for joint comfort. These molecules are produced by the body during injury and inflammation. Salicin is a natural product to support the body’s normal response to inflammation and provide relief from pain and discomfort.
White Willow Bark: Willow bark has been used for thousands of years to help support eicosanoid and cytokine balance and to help relieve discomfort [1-3]. Willow bark is currently approved by the German Commission E and the European Scientific Cooperative on Phytotherapy (ESCOP) for these purposes. Willow bark is also recognized in the United States for its role in supporting joint comfort . Various randomized placebo-controlled studies suggest that willow bark produces positive effects on joint discomfort. The usual dose of salicin is 240 mg per day .
5•Loxin®: A standardized Boswellia serrata extract enriched to 30% 3-O-acetyl-11-keto-ß-boswellic acid (AKBA), is ten times more concentrated than ordinary Boswellia serrata. Boswellia serrata is an ayurvedic herb whose principle constituents—boswellic acid and alpha-boswellic acid—may help maintain healthy leukotriene metabolism by reducing the activity of the enzyme 5-lipoxygenase . 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) catalyzes the synthesis of unfavorable leukotrienes. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial assessing the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of Boswellia extract produced statistically significant and clinically relevant decreases in knee discomfort, increases in knee flexion, and increases in walking distance . A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study specifically designed with 5•Loxin resulted in statistically significant improvements in comfort and physical function and a significant reduction in matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) in synovial fluid .
BerryVin™ (40 mg): Contains a blend of blueberries, strawberries, escobillo, and cranberries, along with grape and pomegranate extracts. This bioflavonoid-rich berry powder provides polyphenols, anthocyanins, ellagic acid, and an antioxidant capacity of 4000 TE/g to fight free radicals.
- Natural Standard Database. Willow Bark (Salix Spp.). Somerville, MA: Natural Standard; 2012. http://naturalstandard.com/databases/herbssupplements/ willowbark.asp#undefined. Accessed August 2, 2012
- Singh AP. Salicin-A natural analgesic. Ethnobotanical Leaflets. 2003;1:1-4. http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/ebl/vol2003/iss1/8. Accessed August 2, 2012.
- Fiebich BL, Appel K. Anti-inflammatory effects of willow bark extract. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2003 Jul;74(1):96; author reply 96-7. [PMID: 12844141]
- Maroon JC, Bost JW, Maroon A. Natural anti-inflammatory agents for pain relief. Surg Neurol Int. 2010 Dec 13;1:80. [PMID: 21206541]
- Safayhi H, Boden SE, Schweizer S, et al. Concentration-dependent potentiating and inhibitory effects of Boswellia extract on 5-Lipoxygenase product formation in stimulated PMNL. Planta Med. 2000 Mar;66(2):110-3. [PMID: 10763581]
- Kimmatkar N, Thawani V, Hingorani L, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of Boswellia serrata extract in treatment of osteoarthritis of knee—a randomized double blind placebo controlled trial. Phytomedicine. 2003 Jan;10(1):3-7. [PMID: 12622457]
- Sengupta K, Alluri KV, Satish AR, et al. A double blind, randomized, placebo controlled study of the efficacy and safety of 5-Loxin for treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Arthritis Res Ther. 2008;10(4):R85. [PMID: 18667054]
Serving Size: 2 Capsules
** Daily Value not established.