Applications for Health Improvement
- Helps protect the macula, retina and lens from oxidative damage
- Supports healthy eye structure and function
60 Vegetarian Capsules
Two leading causes of blindness are age-related macular degeneration and cataract formation. Age-related macular degeneration is a progressive, chronic disease of the macula, the pigmented area near the center of the retina. This is the part of the eye enabling us to see fine details such as reading, driving and telling time. Cataracts are a clouding of the lens and are caused in large part by oxidative stress and glycation.
Developed in conjunction with respected Ophthalmologists, the Eyesight formula allows for the increased intake of specific ocular antioxidants in order to maintain, support and protect the macula, retina and lens from oxidative damage as we age. This groundbreaking formula contains the following nutrients which support a healthy eye structure and function. These ingredients may also support other organ systems within the body.
Zinc: required by superoxide dismutase and catalase for quenching free radicals in the lens and the retina . Also boosts the immune system, can protect the prostate and support healthy testosterone levels in men.
Taurine: most abundant free amino acid in the retina is tissue protective. Along with zinc, they interact in retinal morphology and function . Taurine is also important to neurotransmission, neuroregulation and cardiac function.
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC): NAC is a free radical scavenger that supports glutathione synthesis, a key component of both antioxidant and detoxification enzymes. It also supports detoxification of environmental toxins and pollutants and also supports healthy respiratory function .
Bilberry Extract: studied mostly in the context of multi-ingredient formulations in which it demonstrated positive effects on visual acuity and field by supporting the retina.
Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA): ALA is a multifunctional antioxidant also known as thiotic acid. ALA regenerates vitamins C and E, increases tissue levels of glutathione, and helps maintain the proper ratio of reduced to oxidized coenzyme Q10 in the mitochondria .
Quercetin: inhibits oxidative damage in the lens and inhibits aldose reductase, the enzyme considered key to maintain the clarity of the lens .
Lutein: a potent plant carotenoid which protects the eye from UV blue light damage and quenches oxygen free radicals. It is present in higher concentrations in the eye than in other human tissues .
Lycopene: also a carotenoid compound. May attenuate oxidative stress and support healthy vision. Some studies have shown it also supports a healthy prostate.
1. Wood JP, Osborne NN. Zinc and energy requirements in induction of oxidative stress to retinal pigmented epithelial cells. Neurochem Res. 2003 Oct; 28(10):1525-33. [PMID: 14570397]
2. Gottschall-Pass KT, et al. Oscillatory potentials and light microscopic changes demonstrate an interaction between zinc and taurine in the developing rat retina. J Nutr. 1997 Jun;127(6):1206-13. [PMID: 9187637]
3. Babizhayev MA. New concept in nutrition for the maintenance of the aging eye redox regulation and therapeutic treatment of cataract disease; synergism of natural antioxidant imidazole-containing amino acid-based compounds, chaperone, and glutathione boosting agents: a systemic perspective on aging and longevity emerged from studies in humans. Am J Ther. 2010 JulAug;17(4):373-89. [PMID: 20463577]
4. Winkler BS, Boulton ME, Gottsch JD, et al. Oxidative damage and age-related macular degeneration. Mol Vis. 1999 Nov 3;5:32. [PMID: 10562656]
5. Cornish KM, Williamson G, Sanderson J. Quercetin metabolism in the lens: role in inhibition of hydrogen peroxide induced cataract. Free Radic Biol Med. 2002 Jul 1;33(1):63-70. [PMID: 12086683]
6. Koushan K, Rusovici R, Li W, et al. The role of lutein in eye-related disease. Nutrients. 2013 May 22;5(5):1823-39. Review. [PMID: 23698168]
Really Good Product
Effective, very happy with the results so far!