Joint Rebuilding Formula Results
Proprietary Joint Rebuilding Formula, a member of Health Masters’ Exclusive and Patented (”EP”) line is the result of developing evidence-based natural health products for pain management. It is among a group of formulas that also includes Proprietary Herbal Joint Relief Formula. The formulation of Proprietary Joint Rebuilding Formula began with researchers at Biotanika investigating the potential of traditional herb extracts to act additively or synergistically to reduce inflammation and pain using the lowest doses of each herb. Biotanika used three pre-clinical test protocols that are recognized by the scientific community as good models for inflammatory diseases. These tests resulted in formulas benchmarked with current standards of care used in western medicine.
The primary goal of the first clinical trial of the two formulas was to assess the safety and efficacy for the relief of pain in fourteen patients with either low back pain, joint (knee, shoulder, or hip) pain, or muscular or articular pain (the majority had moderate-to-severe pain). These patients had visited a natural health care practitioner seeking alternative therapies to NSAIDs or surgery. As is most often seen in patients scheduled for knee replacement surgery or who have had knee replacements, benefit was nil. However, all patients with low back, hip and shoulder pain demonstrated significant benefit.
- Glucosamine Sulfate, a chondro-protective agent occurring naturally in all human tissues, appears to stimulate the manufacture of cartilage components and the deposition of sulfur into the cartilage. In combination with chondroitin sulfate it may be effective in patients with moderate-to-severe knee pain [1,2,3].
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a naturally-occurring, sulfur-containing, water-soluble compound (AKA DMSO2) has been demonstrated to possess anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties [4,5].
- Chondroitin Sulfate, a primary proteoglycan in the body, attracts and retains a significant quantity of water guaranteeing cartilage resistance and elasticity. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties. [7,8].
- Hyaluronic Acid, a naturally occurring glycosaminoglycan in synovial fluid, helps create a viscous environment, cushion joints and maintains normal joint function. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties [9,10]
- Vitamin C and Manganese- Vitamin C is essential for synthesis of collagen and for maintaining its integrity. Manganese is important in the growth and development of normal bone and in the synthesis of cartilage . Studies in rats, rabbits and humans have demonstrated a joint supportive, anti-inflammatory effect of a combination of glucosamine, chondroitin and manganese ascorbate. [21,22].
1. Distler J, Anguelouch A. Evidence-based practice: review of clinical evidence on the efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin in the treatment of osteoarthritis. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2006 Oct;18(10):487-93 [PMID: 16999714]
2. Clegg DO, et al. Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis. N Engl J Med. 2006 Feb 23;354(8):795-808 [PMID: 16495392]
3. Matheson AJ, Perry CM. Glucosamine: a review of its use in the management of osteoarthritis. Drugs Aging. 2003;20(14):1041-60 [PMID:14651444]
4. Parcell S. Sulfur in human nutrition and applications in medicine. Altern Med Rev. 2002 Feb;7(1):22-44 [PMID: 11896744]
5. Beilke MA, et al. Effects of dimethyl sulfoxide on the oxidative function of human neutrophils. J Lab Clin Med 1987, 110:91-96 [PMID:3598341]
7. Chan PS. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate regulate gene expression and synthesis of nitric oxide and prostaglandin E(2) in articular cartilage explants. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2005 May;13(5):387-94 [PMID: 15882562]
8. Ha BJ. Oxidative stress in ovariectomy menopause and role of chondroitin sulfate. Arch Pharm Res. 2004 Aug;27(8):867-72 [PMID: 15460450]
9. Campo GM, et al. Aromatic trap analysis of free radicals production in experimental collagen-induced arthritis in the rat: protective effect of glycosaminoglycans treatment. Free Radic Res. 2003 Mar;37(3):257-68.[PMID: 12688421]
10. Campo GM, et al. Administration of hyaluronic acid and chondroitin-4-sulfate limits endogenous antioxidant depletion and reduces cell damage in experimental acute pancreatitis. Pancreas. 2004 Mar;28(2):E45-53. [PMID: 15028960]
11. Strause L, et al.The effect of deficiencies of manganese and copper on osteoinduction and on resorption of bone particles in rats. Calcif Tissue Int. 1987 Sep;41(3):145-50. [PMID: 3117341]
12. Beren J, et al. Effect of pre-loading oral glucosamine HCl/chondroitin sulfate/manganese ascorbate combination on experimental arthritis in rats. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2001 Feb;226(2):144-51 [PMID:11446439]
13. Das A Jr, et al. Efficacy of a combination of FCHG49 glucosamine hydrochloride, TRH122 low molecular weight sodium chondroitin sulfate and manganese ascorbate in the management of knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage.
Chondrocytes: Critical Cells for the Health of our Cartilage
Chondrocytes are key cells in our cartilage. It produces and maintains the cartilage tissue, that consists essentially of collagen and proteoglycan. They are essential for the regeneration of the cartilage.
Microscopic look at the articulation with osteoarthritis (histochemical analysis of the tissues)
Inflammation is the “initiator” of many discomforts
Many preclinical studies have been performed. These studies demonstrated that the combination of Proprietary Herbal Joint Relief Formula and Proprietary Joint Rebuilding Formula modulates certain intermediates responsible for inflammation thereby reducing the swelling and associated pain.
Finally, a natural medicine line of natural health products!
- Ingredients were selected based on independent scientific research that demonstrated their safety and efficacy.
- Products tested in preclinical models used by the pharmaceutical industry.
- A rigorous quality control program: each batch of ingredients and final product is tested by an independent laboratory to assure that it conforms to specifications (purity, identity) and that it is free of contaminants or adulterants such as heavy metals, pesticides, synthetic NSAIDs. Testing program includes confirming plant part and subspecies.
- Management team consists of professionals from the pharmaceutical industry and 25 years of nutraceutical research.
- Solid experience in preclinical and clinical product development as well as regulatory affairs and natural health products.
Arthritis: a chronic degenerative disease of the articulations (cartilage); its evolution limits the mobility of the articulations and causes pain, swelling and loss of joint flexibility.
Arthrosis: is the most frequent form of arthritis; a disease associated with stress/injury to the articulations; it progresses in acute phases; often associated with age or old accidents/injuries to the articulations.
Advancements : better understanding of the mechanisms involved in the degeneration of cartilage and the development of alternative treatments that are less damaging to the GI tract.
Benefits: improvement in the quality of life such as better joint flexibility and mobility and reduced pain.